Saturday, September 15, 2012

Sounds


For my first sound observation I went and sat with my pet cockatiel Rocky on my deck.  I did this at around 6 am after I took my dogs out.  At first I did not notice anything different about sitting outside.  After the first 5 minutes I started to notice very small things like the wind and the sound of a car off in the distance.  After 10 minutes I started to be able to hear the sound of my cockatiel as she yawned.  I could also hear the distinct sound of her cleaning her feathers and cleaning her feet.  I thought it was very interesting.  I did not know that I could hear something as small a sound as that.
            That afternoon I took my dogs to the Empie Dog Park.  I was the only person at the dog park.  I sat down at the table and let my dogs run around.  After the first 5 minutes I did not notice anything really different.  After 10 minutes I could start to hear the sound of birds off in the distance.  I could also start to hear the sound of tennis balls bouncing off the courts in the distance.  As my dogs got closer I could start to hear the sound of the sand pushing back as they took off running chasing each other.
            These two events have started to remind me of when I worked on a set etiquette film for the flicker film society.  I had to get room noise after we filmed for 2 minutes.  During the filming with the headphones on I could hear the sound of the electricity running through the lights.  I could also hear he air conditioner in the room pushing air out.  This has made me realize the importance of the headphones during filming because the microphone will pick up more then your ears will.

No comments:

Post a Comment